In the Department of Plastic Surgery – the “Art Of care” at American Hospital Tbilisi, we perform all types of aesthetic surgery, employing the most advanced techniques to achieve the best and most natural outcomes for our patients, as safely as possible.
ART OF CARE is a unique service and your full cycle of care in the journey of becoming who you want to be.
More than just a plastic surgery clinic, ART OF CARE is a ten-step philosophy designed by professionals as an innovative system of 360-degree patient support.
Mammoplasty, or breast correction, is one of our most popular procedures, either as part of a full- body rehabilitation following pregnancy or for other reasons. For augmentations, we modify the size and shape of the breast, using either implants or the patient’s own fat for augmentations. We also perform hybrid mammoplasty, combining smaller implants with a transplantation of the patient’s own fat cells. This helps us to obtain the most natural looking outcome and harmonious proportions. Since we use a self-absorbing material, the patient does not require regular long-term wound dressings, and the sutures do not need to be removed. For breast reductions, we remodel the patient’s own mammary gland. Finally, we employ breast lifting to restore youthful and feminine forms.
Cosmetic surgical procedure designed to enhance the appearance, size and contour of a woman’s breast, including areolas and nipples.
For women wishing to restore breast shape and size after childbirth or to obtain harmonious proportions and natural look.
DURATION – 1 to 3 hours
Breast augmentation is performed to enlarge the breast by 1-2 sizes or more, as well as correct its shape or eliminate asymmetry. For this purpose, implants are used that differ in their shape, volume, height, profile, type of filler, and other parameters. Breast implants can have a round or teardrop (anatomical) shape.
Implants with a textured shell and filled with medical silicone (Soft Touch gel with high cohesiveness)are recognized as the best breast augmentation implants. They provide the most natural and harmonious result, have high strength and resistance to damage, as well as a long service life.
Types of incisions
When performing mammoplasty, the following types of incisions can be used:
- Periareolar. A small incision is made along the perimeter of the areola, which makes the scar almost invisible. Such incision is less likely to injure breast tissue ― which means that the rehabilitation period will be easier and faster.
- Inframammary. The incision is made in the natural crease under the breast. With this approach, there is no risk of injury to the milk ducts, but in the supine position, a postoperative scar may be noticeable.
Depending on the structure and condition of the breast tissue, implants can be inserted under the glandular tissue, under the pectoral muscle, or in a combined method. When the implant is inserted under the pectoral muscle it allows you to securely fix the endoprosthesis in the desired position and achieve the most natural result.
For breast augmentation by 0.5-1 size, the lipofilling method can be used. In this case, instead of implants, the patient’s own adipose
tissue is used. The donor zones are areas of the body where fat is usually in excess (the front wall of the abdomen, thighs, buttocks). Adipose tissue is extracted through thin punctures of the skin using water jet liposuction ― this is a gentle method that minimizes tissue injury and preserves the viability of adipocytes as much as possible. The resulting adipose tissue is purified and inserted under the skin of the mammary glands through thin punctures, so that it does not leave scars, and healing is fast and almost painless. The result is characterized by a very natural look, and the risk of complications is minimal due to complete tissue biocompatibility and low trauma of the intervention.
Lipofilling is an excellent alternative to surgical plastic surgery, which has only one disadvantage: it can increase the breast by no more than one size. To get a more dramatic result, you will need 2-3 procedures with an interval of up to 6 months.
This operation is performed for hypertrophy of the mammary glands, which, in addition to psychological complexes and aesthetic dissatisfaction, can create a lot of physical inconvenience for the patient, negatively affect the posture and cause back pains.
During reduction mammoplasty, excess breast tissue is excised and the breast shape is modeled. If necessary, correction of the size and position of the stretched areolas and nipples is made.
In 95% of cases, mammoplasty is performed for aesthetic reasons:
- Dissatisfaction with the patient’s small breast size or shape;
age-related changes and sagging breast tissue
- Breast hypertrophy (related to genetic features, hormonal
disorders, or lactation)
- Sagging mammary glands after breastfeeding or due to age-
- Dissatisfaction with the shape or size of the nipples
- Breast asymmetry
- Tubular breast shape
- Breast anatomy restoration after radical surgery
The operation is not performed in the following cases:
- Oncological processes of any localization
- Diabetes mellitus
- Infectious diseases
- Autoimmune connective tissue disorders
- Ovarian dysfunction
- Insufficiency of the liver, kidneys, and cardiovascular system
- Blood clotting disorders
- Mental instability
- Period of pregnancy or lactation
- Menstrual days;
- Under 18 years of age.
At the preliminary stage, a surgeon, anesthesiologist, mammologist is consulted to identify possible contraindications to the operation. The surgeon evaluates the individual features of the patient’s breast anatomy, the condition of their glandular, adipose tissue and skin. Taking into account the patient’s wishes and the state of her health, the most optimal method of performing the operation is chosen.
A list of necessary tests and analyses is assigned. These include general and biochemical blood tests, coagulogram, breast ultrasound or mammography, HIV, viral hepatitis B and C, syphilis, etc. Photos are taken to evaluate the result and compare the breast before and after mammoplasty.
2 weeks before the operation, smoking and alcohol consumption should be excluded, as well as taking medications that worsen blood clotting.
The operation is performed under general anesthesia
- Can I have mammoplasty before pregnancies?
It is a very individual decisions based on every woman’s priorities.
– implants don’t hurt mammary glands and are not toxic, you can safely breastfeed
– Breast may or may not change after pregnancy, implants have no impact on it
– However, reductions and T-mastopexy may result in problems w breath feeding
– There will be reciting sagging after childbirth if you had a lift
– You can’t get lab pregnancy earlier than 1 year after surgery
- Will I need to change my implants?
Yes, they are not lifetime devices (every 7-15 years)
- How can I choose the right size?
Every surgeon does it differently, here is how I do it (sizers, references, 3d)
- How long is the rehab and what is it like?
2 weeks are the hardest, you should be very careful with your arms and sleep on your back. 1,5 months no sport. 3 months first results, final result 6-12 m
- For How long do I have to wear compression bra?
About 1 month